Motherhood Cures Ingratitude.

>> Tuesday, October 23, 2012

I love interacting with other married couples and parents. It is the cure for ingratitude and sharpens marriages. My husband and I were at a children's birthday party and I was so happy that another woman's husband was talking about his day and how he was taking his wife out for dinner. I said nothing and just enjoyed the moment as my husband and I have not been on a date in some time. Indirect pressure from another person is a much better remedy.

I also found myself complaining about all the work I have to do for the boys and if they will ever become independent in picking up their clothes and plates from the table; even with prompts and rewards. Then I was speaking to a mother who was praising another mother within our circle of PTA members. I found out her son has a twin sister but there's more; she has another set of twins all under the age of 7years old.

Another parent from church just lost her job. Her husband is working overseas in the Middle East. He will be there for one year and he just left in August. She has been so courageous this whole time. My husband went away for two weeks to work in Washington State and then again for two weeks in San Diego. I could not imagine a year but it helped me to be grateful for him and go beyond my usual expression of love and admiration.

As far as her not working, it was not organized and professionally executed the way they laid off over 200 people and shipped the main office to the midwest. In one day everything was gone. I was moved to help her find work. Every time I am on the computer I look for a link to email to her. She is so sweet and has expressed her thankfulness.

*I learned many lessons from these women. Who can you learn from if you payed close attention? What lessons are you being given that you may not be aware of? Do you see the people around you as examples of good qualities to adopt or even deciding who not to imitate? And most importantly, what are people learning from you.

2 comments:

Priceless October 23, 2012 at 11:14 AM  

This is exactly what I needed to hear today. Thank you for sharing and for your acts of kindness towards the mother.

Unknown October 25, 2012 at 12:45 PM  

I like the indirect pressure, but I usually need to follow up with a little direct pressure afterwards. ;-)