What did you say?

>> Thursday, November 05, 2009

I had been talking for quit some time pouring out my day as he fiddled around the bedroom. He eventually picked up his laptop, turned and said my most hated words: What did you say? After all that. Why did you not stop me? How could you not know I was talking to you, for so long. I hear similar scenarios, quite a few times from couples. There's always one spouse that is more verbal. Even when they are both introverts, one is always more verbal and it doesn't have to be the woman. I once met a couple where the wife had no complaints of her husband except that he drove her crazy. Believe it or not he wanted to resolve and work out problems, had input on every aspect of how the children should be cared for, and spontaneously spoke about his gigs, friendships, goals (the list continued to increase); until she would make faces and turn a deaf ear. Sometimes the eyes even rolled. She made many attempts to be conscious during the one way conversation yet after some time had no more room in her cup.

All the time I was thinking my husband was inconsiderate and that he was the problem until I met my match with the extrovert husband. Watching that couple helped me to get a grip and a balance. As odd and hilarious as it was to watch the tables be turned in someone else's marriage, helped me to ask my husband if he is busy before I go ahead ranting and raving. What did you say has now become my measure.

2 comments:

Tom Bailey November 5, 2009 at 10:39 PM  

This looks like the start of a great blog. You seem very bright and know what you are talking about and what you are doing seems like a great way of giving back something I focus on when I am blogging. Visit my blog and see what you think.

The Adviser November 7, 2009 at 10:43 AM  

Tom I went to your blog site and loved the theme on personal accountability. What a great idea for a blog. I am also very grateful that you, a veteran blogger, would visit my humble site. I made a comment on your blog because I was so happy that you found Live Ever After and posted a comment. I will be following your blog as of today. Thanks again.